Improve Your Knowledge Of The Game By Understanding The Basketball Court Dimensions And Measurements
Basketball Court Dimensions, Measurements & Markings
As a new basketball coach, it's important that you have a basic understanding of all aspects of the game. This includes knowing what the basketball court measurements and dimensions are.
Now, learning the dimensions of a basketball court isn't going to make you a more successful coach as far as practices and games go. However, understanding this information will help improve your overall knowledge of the game and make you a more confident basketball coach.
As simple as this sounds...it's true. The more you understand the game, the more confident you will become in your ability to teach and coach your basketball players. I encourage you to learn these basketball court measurements and dimensions - and then share them with your players at the appropriate time.
Basketball Court Dimensions & Measurements
- A high school basketball court measures 84 feet long by 50 feet wide. Sometimes a 94-foot court is used.
- A youth basketball court measures 74 feet long by 42 feet wide.
- Junior high and middle school courts vary in size. Some will use the high school basketball court measurements, while others will use the dimensions of a youth basketball court.
Basket & Backboard
- All lines on the basketball court are 2 inches thick.
- The center circle is 12 feet in diameter.
- The three-point line in high school basketball is 19' 9" from the basket.
- The three-point arc straightens out 5 feet from the baseline.
- The free throw line is 15 feet from the backboard.
- The free throw line is 19 feet from the baseline.
- The free throw line is 13 feet from the front of the rim.
- The free throw lane is 12 feet wide.
- The basket is 4 - 6 feet from the baseline.
- The basket is 18 inches in diameter and positioned 6 inches from the backboard.
- The backboard is typically 6 feet wide by 3.5 - 4 feet high.
- The box on the backboard measures 24 inches wide by 18 inches high.
You should adjust the height of the baskets according to the age level you're coaching. This will help promote proper shooting form and will provide the basketball players with a certain level of success.
- Age 13 and older - Basket height of 10 feet.
- Age 10 to 12 years old - Basket height of 9 feet.
- Age 6 to 9 years old - Basket height of 8 feet.
Diagram Of Basketball Court MeasurementsClick on this basketball court diagram for a visual description of the various basketball court dimensions and measurements...
Return To Basketball Court Dimensions & Measurements Top
Return From Basketball Court Dimensions To Basketball Rules
Return From Basketball Court Measurements & Dimensions To Home Page